Monday, October 26, 2009

Nathan's Good News



An exciting time in Nathan's life.  He took this picture of himself on Sunday afternoon October 18, 2009.  This is the afternoon he asked Jesus into his life. 

He has been asking questions and sorting out for himself the great questions of life.  One day in the van he asked about Heaven and people dying.  He asked what happened to animals when they die (typically 6 yr-old question).  He has talked about Jesus being God's Son and why he had to die on the cross.  With each conversation, we have expressed what we believe and what the Bible says.  With each question, Hank and I have been careful to answer what he has asked about and not dive too deep theologically.  We want to help him sort out these questions, but we do not ever what to push him into too much too soon.
During this journey he has been very interested in baptism.  We have expressed to him that he can get baptized, but we want to make sure he understands why we get baptized.  He took the Steps Toward God class.  Every Sunday he would tell us about what he learned that day.  At the end of the four weeks, he could clearly articulate his understanding of Jesus. 
One day int he car, we had a great conversation about relationships.  What it means to have a relationship with others.  We talked about Jesus and what his relationship is with Jesus.  He said Jesus is my King.  I explained that Jesus certainly is and He is also our friend, your Savior...basically we talked about all the levels of relationship we have with Jesus.

On Sunday afternoon, October 18, 2009-Nathan asked me to write down the words to a prayer to ask Jesus into his life.  I want to do it myself he said, but I want to get the words right.  I explained to him that it can be his words...What did he want to say to God and Jesus,...this is what he dictated to me:

Dear Jesus,
Can you please come into my heart?
Please forgive me when I do bad things.
I know you are God's Son and you died on the cross. 
Thank you for bing my friend and my King.
Amen

I words the words out for him and he took them into his room to pray by himself.  Of course, Hank and I stood in the hallway listening.  Then he came ou to ask about a word he could pronounce.  We asked if we could come in while he finished praying.  He allowed us to come in:)
After he prayed, Hank and I prayed for him.  Then I asked him how he felt.  He said he felt GOOD.  Then he asked, "Can I get baptized now?"

What a wonderful time!!  We laughed, hugged and talked about baptism and the important decision he just made.  His words and feelings were so sweet and childlike.

That night he told his friends at church in his Sparks class.  He also told Pastor Gary.
That next week he told his class at church showing them the necklace that Grandma Mary had sent him.

Nathan will be baptized by Mr. Eddie on November 15, 2009.

No comments: